Barbequed Tomahawk Steaks
- Apply a liberal coat of kosher salt to all sides of the steak. Allow the steak to sit at room temperature for one hour.
- 1 (32 oz) bone-in tomahawk rib-eye, 2 inch thick
- kosher salt
- When ready to cook set Traeger temperature to 225°F and preheat, lid closed 15 minutes. For optimal flavor, use Super Smoke if available.
- After an hour, thoroughly rinse all salt off the steak and pat completely dry. Liberally season the steak with Meat Church Holy Cow BBQ Rub on both sides.
- Meat Church Holy Cow BBQ Rub
- Place the steak directly onto the cooking grate. Don’t touch it, don’t flip it or spritz it. Cook the steak until it reaches an internal temperature of 120°F. This should take 45 minutes or so, depending on the thickness.
- Pull steak after it has reached an internal temperature of 120°F. Let the steak rest 10 minutes lightly tented with aluminum foil.
- While steak is resting, place a cast iron skillet on the grill grate. Increase the grill temperature to 500°F. Allow it to get as hot as possible.
- Place the steak on the dry cast iron griddle and sear the steak for 1 minute. Flip the steak and sear the other side for 1 minute. Doing this should bring your steak to an internal temperature of no more than 130°F.
- Pull steak and top with a heavy amount of butter. The steak will continue to cook another 5°F to 7°F due to carry over cooking while the butter melts over it. We are targeting 130°F to 135°F internal temperature which is a perfect medium-rare.
- Allow the steak to rest 10 minutes. Slice and enjoy!